Soup. It’s part of “Getting Your Veggies In 101″. Like smoothies, you can cram a ridiculous amount of vegetables into soups, and I thoroughly recommend it as a strategy for eating those 10 servings a day that our beloved Mr. Bailor reminds us about at any given opportunity. Especially in the winter months. I find salads easy-peasy to eat in the spring and summer, but as soon as the leaves turn – yeah, not so much. Another brilliant thing about soups is their portability; oh and let’s not forget how easy it is to make an enormous batch all at once and eat it over several days, or freeze it in ready to serve portions. Soups rock.
I don’t know about you, but I am already thinking about summer. And salads. Even though it’s mid-winter where I am. This soup got started when I had all the typical ingredients for salad lurking in the ‘fridge, but the temperature here had just turned to not-salad-eating degrees. I wondered what I could do with all the lettuce and cucumbers and tomatoes if I wasn’t going to eat them raw as salad. So I decided I would see what happened if I threw all of them together into soup. The same soup. And, in an instant, Tomato Salad Soup was born.
In the first iteration I even squirted in some mayonnaise. I do not recommend this. AT ALL. Please do not do this at home. It was not good. AT ALL. The second iteration, on the other hand, was a huge hit.
So next time you have a craving for salad in mid-winter but really want something warm – soup it up. No one will ever guess just how much green summery stuff is hidden in there.
- 1 lb 11oz. / 760g English cucumbers, roughly chopped
- 1½ lb / 670g tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 cup / 8 fl oz. chicken or clear vegetable stock
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 oz / 170g unsweetened tomato paste
- 1 small avocado
- 3 tsp dried basil
- 3 TBSP white wine
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 TBSP 2% Greek yogurt (Do not use non-fat!)
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce
- Put the cucumber, tomatoes, stock and salt into a large pan or stock pot and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Working in batches, place the vegetables in a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add the tomato paste, avocado flesh, basil, white wine, lemon juice and Greek yoghurt, and blend to mix.
- Separate the leaves of the lettuce and blend into the soup on high speed until completely smooth.
- Re-heat gently if necessary.