I am about to do something radical. I am going to post this recipe without saying anything first; because I am as sure as I can be that you have eyes for only one thing: the recipe. Except it would be remiss of me not to mention how thankful I am that – after a wildly frustrating weekend making innumerable batches of these glorious, crackle-topped wonders – I finally got it right. The people that blind taste-tested these little dollops of almond joy raved. Then they clamoured for more – and for the recipe - for 3 days straight.
If you were wondering how you were going to survive the holidays without heading into cookie *inSANEity – NOW YOU DON’T HAVE TO. What with these and the Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies, you’re set.
These dreamy almond cookies are slightly dense, moist, and chewy in the middle. They’re almondy enough to knock your socks off. At one point I thought the cookie dough was possessed. By the time I was on the 7th batch, I swear those cookies were trying to kill me. In the end though, *SANEity prevailed. HURRAH!!
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz / 55g butter
- ½ cup / 4 fl oz. almond butter
- 10 oz / 280g xylitol
- 4 tsp sugar-free vanilla syrup
- 6 tsp almond extract
- 10 oz / 280g almond flour (ground almonds)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 oz / 55g toasted chopped almonds
- In a bowl, using a hand mixer, whisk together the eggs, butter, almond butter, xylitol, syrup and almond extract until it is light and fluffy – about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the almond flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum and chopped almonds together well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and gently stir until completely mixed but do not over mix.
- Wrap in plastic film and put in ‘fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Remove from the ‘fridge and working quickly, roll into small balls (I used 1 oz per ball).
- Place balls on baking sheet and then press down with your fingers until they are ½” thick / 2″ across.
- Brush with beaten egg to glaze.
- Place in center of oven at 350F.
- Bake for 12 mins or until lightly colored.