Hello! Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Honestly, I don’t even know what I am meant to say at this time of year any more. So just know that I wish all! good! things! for every single one of you reading this.
This shall be one of those short posts, because although many of you tell me how much you love all the stories and other things that come galloping across the screen at you from this little blogette of mine, there are times when I know that deep down all you want - all you really, really want – is just to get the recipe already. These Sour Cream and Chive Biscuits make my heart beat a whole lot faster, and if I know you at all, I think yours will too. At the risk of sounding a little pretentious, these are the best biscuits I have ever eaten in my life. I think I’d want them to be my last meal kinda best-biscuits-in-my-life. Just think of the travesty that would have occurred if you hadn’t gone SANE – you’d have never got to eat them. GASP! These biscuits are reason enough for going SANE. Forget the fact that they will make you healthier and slimmer. If you’ve avoided trying your hand at any baking since you got SANE, please start here. You’ll never look back. You may never make any other SANE baked good but these, but you’ll make these over and over again, I am certain.
I took a couple round to the Bailor house earlier today and the gorgeous Mrs. Bailor was reported to have said, “Oh goodness! These are amazing!”
These are absolutely pull-apart fabulous about 30 minutes after they get out of the oven – if you can wait that long. They are still fantastic the next day, although the texture changes somewhat and they fall apart easily. If you still have some left the next day, I recommend warming them slightly before you eat them (and I really do mean slightly) as this will heat the feta which gets kinda crunchy after it is cold. Cold is still awesome though. I had two cold for my Christmas Day breakfast. They rocked.
- 15 oz almond flour / ground almonds
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 oz unsalted butter, cold
- 1 egg
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tbsp cold water
- ½ oz fresh chives, chopped
- 6 oz low-fat feta cheese, chopped into small pieces
- Beaten egg to glaze
- Place almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cold butter into a food processor and pulse just until it resembles breadcrumbs. Do not over process!
- Turn into a mixing bowl and add the egg, sour cream, water, chives and feta cheese and mix just enough to form a rough, soft dough.
- Turn onto a board (use almond flour to dust if sticky) and knead about 10 times until the dough is all together.
- Flatten the dough lightly with your hand until it is a 1 inch thick square.
- Cut into 2 inch squares with a sharp knife.
- Place biscuits on a baking sheet, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in the center of the oven at 375 F for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown.
SANE™, inSANE, SANEity – terms used in Jonathan Bailor’s book, The Smarter Science of Slim. (Which is now out of print…but a new book will be here in January 2014 and it will be even more awesome!)